NHSRPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NHSRPG

Forum RPG for students @ NHS

You are not connected. Please login or register

A guide to Role-Playing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A guide to Role-Playing Empty A guide to Role-Playing Sat May 08, 2010 10:09 am

killrhawk

killrhawk
Admin

Ahhh... The wonderful world of RP'ing (role-playing). You way be wondering, what is role playing. Well, role playing in its essence is writing your own story, fully of great characters and rich story, where you can control your character.

The basic layout of a RPG (role-playing game) is that a person, usually a mod or a member with experience, will come up with a great idea. And that idea is the beginning of a story. That person will take their idea and post it here. Then people will add characters to the story. (See guide to making a successful RP'ing character for more). The creator, or DM of the story can add a character too, or just play the role of "god" leading the story. The characters in the RPG, will make their character make actions IG (in game) to advance the story, while the DM will add to the story describing areas and playing as the characters that the players interact with along the way. The DM will either have an end in mind, which they try to lead the players to, or will have no end in mind and make it up as they go along. Along the game, characters can grow and become stronger, or fall prey to the challenges along the game.

One things to watch out for when RP'ing is "god moding". Since you are in control of your character, you can decide what to do, but that also leaves room for "god moding". Say you were in a battle.

DM: a spider crawls up from the hole in the ground
Spider: Shoots web at player
Player: Even thought my character is wearing solid metal armour and is carrying a cake, my character does a triple back flip and lands it perfectly while dodging the spider’s web.
Spider: traps character in sticky webbing making it impossible for the player to move and attacks, trying to bite the player.
Player: Effortlessly shrugs of the spider web by blowing on it, then teleports to the other side of the spider and stabs it.

Can you see how this is unfair?
Unless your character was a master acrobat and had a strength level of over 9000!!! This is totally ridiculous. This is what is called "god moding". Another thing you have to watch out for is when other players control the actions of everything. For example…

DM: The goblin doesn’t like you, so it swings it’s sword at you angrily.
Player: I move out of the way and then set myself up to attack. The goblin doesn’t see it coming so it doesn’t move and I kill it.

OR
DM: You come to a fork in the road.
Player 1: I think we should go to the left
Player 2: I think we should go the other way
Player 1: Starts off the path to the left and the others reluctantly follow him

This can be VERY annoying, when other people control your actions, it takes away from the game a LOT! So if you see anyone doing these things, what you need to do is contact a MOD or ADMIN. The DM is responsible for doing this but if he doesn’t then it’s up to
you.

That’s pretty much all you need to know. As you play you may develop strategies and tricks for playing and you can post them on this thread to help people out as well. So what have we learned? RP’ing is a person writing a story letting others play the characters. A RPG can have a fixed end in mind or can be left open. “God moding” and controlling other people’s characters is really bad. Now all you need to do is create a character and start playing!
Wink

Last edited by killrhawk on Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum